Monday, March 26, 2012

Stop Being a Christian

I saw a bumper sticker last week while I was on my way to work. It was a quote from Gandhi that said, "I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are not like your Christ."

Ouch.

For the rest of the drive in, I thought about that statement. You know what? I can't say I disagree with Gandhi. I'll speak for myself, but I know for a fact that I don't live like Christ. I try, absolutely. I want more than anything to have people see right through me and see only the Holy Spirit. But I lose my temper. I gossip. I stress out about stuff that is so completely insignificant that it's embarrassing. So what does the world think when it hears the words come out of my mouth, "I'm a Christian," and then sees me complaining about a client that's not doing things they way I want them to? What does Jesus think when He hears me worshiping Him at church and sees me go home and immediately start worrying about how productive I'm going to be that day?

You guys - this is a big deal. Calling yourself a Christian isn't a label; it's not a title, it's not a club, it's not a trend. It's supposed to be a way of life. When you call yourself a Christian, you're making a commitment to someone who died for you. Being a Christian means entering into a covenant with the Holy Spirit, and a covenant is a bond that isn't easily broken. You're choosing to put the needs of others above your own, to love people that drive you absolutely insane, to care about people who hurt you. You're making a promise that every day you will put your hope in Someone you can't always see or hear. You're choosing Jesus when you don't always understand why. Being a Christian is the most life-altering experience that can ever happen to you. (I've been learning a lot about the life that God wants for me, so expect a lot more posts like this.)

So here's my stance: if I call myself a Christian, I need to live like it. People need to know I'm different. It doesn't matter if I feel weird. It doesn't matter if I'm uncomfortable. I need to be uncomfortable. I've spent way too much of my life trying to be happy with the job I have, the money I make, the friends I spend time with. I don't want that anymore. I want to live for Christ and forget everything else. And I challenge you, if you call yourself a Christian, to do the same.

Stop being a Christian. Start living like Christ.

Good to talk.
Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment